Monday, January 7, 2008

Petsafe Wireless Instant Fence



If you are like me, trying to fence in your property to keep your dogs in is a nightmare. When I moved here, there were NO fences. I have 7 dogs. Eeeek. Thankfully they are all pretty well trained so I can take them out with me when I am out in the yard but training doesn't help much when they want to go out at 5 am or in the pouring rain.

I spent most of the summer fighting ticks and fleas because all the dogs were roaming about the fields and woods. And then there were the burrs. I have Cavalier King Charles Spaniels who are known for their long luxurious ears. Sigh, I pulled most of their luxurious hair out when I pulled out the burrs this summer.

I found salvation with a Petsafe Wireless Instant Fence. For those of us who don't want to put up traditional fences, this is a god send. I had thought about Invisible fence but didn't have the means to bury wire all over my property. Who does? Unless you have the money to have it professionally installed, it is a labor intensive job.

With the Instant fence, all you do is plug in the transmitter and put the collar on the dog. It took my big dogs about 2 minutes to go out of range, get a small shock and shoot back towards the house. They did this about twice before they figured out that the beep meant DO NOT pass go.

The next two or three days, they spent huddled on the porch. They were pretty sure that the invisible bees were out there. After the initial two days, they started to move out into the yard and after a week, they had figured out exactly where they could and couldn't go. Now they never even get the initial beep.

Pros:

  • Easy Installation
  • Wireless
  • Transportable (throw it in the trunk and take it to grandmas)
  • Adjustable

Cons:
  • Initial cost ($289 for reciever and one collar, additional collars around $120)
  • Collars are big and heavy for small dogs
  • Doesn't keep other dogs out
  • Collar batteries need to be checked and replaced regularly
All things considered, I love the system. It cost me about a 10th as much as putting up fence and it looks a whole lot better. Now if I could just get my neighbors to buy one for their dogs...

I don't carry this at the shop yet but would be happy to order one for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice! dog containment systems are designed to keep and train your dog within a given boundary.